Advertisement for IT Support Specialist
The Institute of Molecular and Clinical Ophthalmology Basel (IOB) seeks a qualified and highly motivated "IT Support Specialist" to support its IT build-up and researchers. The successful candidate will help to create and manage a modern, cloud-based IT infrastructure and support a heterogeneous environment of Windows, Macintosh and Linux machines, including both workstations used for research analyses and computers connected to scientific instruments for data acquisition.
IOB is a new research institute combining basic and clinical research. Its mission is to drive innovations in understanding vision and its related diseases and to develop new therapies for vision loss. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your abilities challenged, and your knowledge expanded.
- Coordinating the design, build-up, and management of an innovative cloud-based computing infrastructure, with complimentary on-premises infrastructure, interacting with researchers, academic partners, as well as IT companies providing services for IOB.
- Supporting researchers, technology platforms and administrative staff in use of new infrastructure.
- IT procurement and license management including interpreting and anticipating the needs of research groups and technology platforms.
- Ordering, installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of both hardware and software.
- Degree in a computational field or equivalent experience is mandatory.
- In-depth experience supporting Windows and Macintosh computers is required, familiarity with Linux is a plus.
- Scripting and programming experience relevant to basic system administration, as well as knowledge of electronics and experience in a research setting or degree in the natural sciences is advantageous.
- Must have experience supporting commercial and open source software, experience with cloud computing is a plus.
- IT project management skills are essential.
This position is hands-on and demands both an independent working style and an ability to interact comfortably with users of varying computing abilities. Openness to innovative non-traditional solutions is important.
We offer you
IOB is situated in Basel, Switzerland, a city in the center of Europe offering an outstanding scientific and cultural environment. We offer an international and dynamic research environment with competitive compensation and benefits. IOB is an equal-opportunity employer.
Application / Contact
Interested candidates should submit their application documents as a single PDF file to email@example.com by December 7th, 2018. Please indicate the position you are applying for by writing the reference number (IOB016) on the subject line. For further information, please visit our website www.iob.ch or contact Josephine Puttkammer (firstname.lastname@example.org).